Our blog is reader-supported. When you click a link in a post, we may earn a small comission at no extra cost to you. This article is intentded for informational purposes, and is not a replacement for medical advice. Learn More
What are the best crystals for protection?
If there’s anything that life’s taught us over the past year it’s to expect the unexpected. There are so many twists and turns, and so many forks in the roads that we travel.
Sometimes things happen that we didn’t plan on. To be frank, not all those things are good. Even the most mundane of tests can turn our lives upside down.
We might fail that algebra test or turn the car a bit too sharply. Maybe we oversleep and miss the important job interview we’ve been preparing for? Perhaps your pet tripped you coming down the stairs?
It doesn’t matter who you are. Sometimes accidents happen. No one can completely remove risk from their life.
What we can control are the crystals we use. There are many stones that serve us as protectors, grounders, and negativity absorbers. Some of them protect travelers by boosting their luck while others are great at shielding us from things like psychic attacks.
In this post, we’ll be going over crystals for protection, but it’s important to keep in mind that none of these crystals are foolproof. They’re also a lot less likely to help you if you take unnecessary risks.
You wouldn’t jump off a roof and expect not to break something. That doesn’t change even if you have a stone in your pocket. Of course, if you accidentally start to roll off that roof, then your stone might help you find a foothold or land a bit softer.
A silica-based mineral, black tourmaline is often solid black in color, but can look opaque as well. It forms in geometric rods and needle-thin branches in other stones, such as quartz and moonstone. Of course, it’s not the shape of the mineral makeup that makes this gem such a great protector.
Black tourmaline keeps its keeper grounded and dispels negative energy, making it one of the best crystals for protection. It cuts the strings of energetic vampires and helps us avoid negative thinking. Perhaps one of its greatest assets, however, is the way it grounds us so we can send our own energetic gunk back into the earth.
In essence, this gem cloaks us in a shield of protection while anchoring us against the winds of life underneath. It also helps dispel anxious emotions and smoothes over obsessive behaviors.
How to Use Black Tourmaline:
- Wear black tourmaline as a necklace, bracelet, earrings, or ring for a constant buzz of protection.
- Put black tourmaline at the four corners of your home to fill the space and those within it with a powerful boost of protection.
- Add black tourmaline to your time with other stones like hematite and quartz to help enhance its effects.
- Carry a black tourmaline chunk or worry stone with you for a little burst of protection and calm whenever you feel you need it.
- Set a piece of black tourmaline at the foot of your bed to help protect you while you sleep.
- Meditate with black tourmaline over your base chakra to help ground and flush your energy.
- Add tourmaline to your bath or shower water for an extra protective scrub.
- Put black tourmaline in your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its powerful energy.
An igneous form of glass, obsidian comes in blue and black tones with the black variety being the most commonly known and used. The fact that it’s glass might make this more brittle than other stones, but obsidian has few equals when it comes to protection.
This stone acts like an energetic shield that repels negativity from its keeper. At the same time, it absorbs dark energy from the surrounding environment. Basically, it draws out and digests stress, anger, and anxiety. Obsidian is a classic choice for those who seek crystals for protection.
Not only does it rid us of old dark parts and keep new drains from forming, but it detoxifies the spaces we occupy, so nothing else can seep back in.
How to Use Obsidian:
- Wear obsidian in a bracelet, earrings, ring, or necklace for a constant shield.
- Carry an obsidian slice or worry stone for a little boost of protection and mood when you feel you need it.
- Add obsidian to your bath or shower water for a cleansing scrub.
- Use obsidian during your work with other stones such as smoky quartz and hematite to enhance its natural protective qualities.
- Put obsidian in your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its protective energy.
- Meditate with obsidian over your root chakra to help ground and balance your energy.
- Make a special place for obsidian in your home to purify the energy and shield those within.
A dark form of nephrite, black jade is found in various parts of California. It forms in rough, rock-like shapes, but it’s the color that gives away this gem’s protective qualities.
Black jade is a powerhouse of collected strength and confidence. It helps us cleanse our own negative emotions and reminds us to keep a level head – a top choice among crystals for protection.
In essence, this is a stone that protects us by making us aware of our own personal power. It frees us to look inside and clear our own skeletons out of the closet. It also happens to boost luck to help stop bad things before they happen.
How to Use Black Jade:
- Wear black jade as a necklace, ring, earrings, bracelet, or medallion for a constant surge of luck and confidence.
- Carry a black jade piece, worry stone, or small totem for a quick burst of positivity whenever you feel you need it.
- Use black jade with other stones such as hematite and black tourmaline to help boost its empowering qualities.
- Add black jade to your bath or shower water for a soothing, protective scrub.
- Meditate with black jade over your root chakra to help ground and balance you.
- Set up a special place for black jade in your home to fill the space with confidence and positivity.
Amethyst is a colored form of quartz that comes in various shades of purple from almost clear to deep indigo. It gets this color thanks to a high concentration of manganese, but it’s not the mineral makeup that makes this gem such a great protector.
The way amethyst guards its keeper is two-fold. Not only does this gem help shield those of us who work with it from psychic attack, it also boosts our own inner eye.
Basically, it helps us see danger coming, so we can avoid it, but also protects us when we can’t. Amethyst can also be an excellent mood soother and helps with anxious or angry emotions.
It helps unlock our knowledge of our inner selves and, therefore, can help with confidence issues. Overall, amethyst is a solid boost to its keeper, making it a powerhouse amongst all crystals for protection.
How to Use Amethyst:
- Wear amethyst as a ring, bracelet, earrings, or necklace for a constant buzz of intuition and protection.
- Carry an amethyst chunk or worry stone for a little surge of inner sight and shielding whenever you feel like you need it.
- Add amethyst to your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its protective, eye-opening energy.
- Put amethyst in your bath or shower water for a shielding scrub.
- Use amethyst with other stones like hematite and smoky quartz to enhance its protective effects.
- Place amethyst in a special place in your house or at the four corners to fill your home with a powerful boost of protection and psychic energy.
- Meditate with amethyst over your third eye to help awaken your inner senses and clear out any blocks.
Unlike other gems, jet isn’t actually a rock, but a form of coal instead. However, this isn’t like what you throw inside the barbecue. Black and shale-like in appearance when raw, jet can be shiny or not and is a stupendous protector.
Made under the intense press of the earth, jet knows how to handle itself when the going gets tough. It draws out and absorbs negativity like a sponge.
Rather than preventing harm before it happens, this gem detoxifies its keeper of the resulting fear and anger. It helps us stay strong in the face of hardship so that we too can transform into a better version of ourselves.
Overall, this a gem that grounds and detoxifies before negativity can build in us. It teaches us how to handle pressure and come out renewed, a key element in crystals for protection.
How to Use Jet:
- Wear jet in a necklace, bracelet, ring, or earrings for a constant grounding effect.
- Add jet to your bath or shower water for an empowering scrub.
- Carry a chunk of jet or a jet worry stone for a quick reminder of your own strength whenever you need it.
- Put jet in your crystal water bottle to help infuse yourself with its confident energy.
- Use jet alongside other stones like obsidian and smoky quartz to enhance its confidence-boosting effects.
- Meditate with jet over your base chakra to ground and stabilize you.
Formed in volcanic zones, apache tears are the beautiful end result of heat and pressure. They tend to be brown to a light, translucent grey. Much like their name suggests, these are crystals of emotion.
Apache tears are a powerful tool of healing and protection. Not only do they help dissolve our less comfortable emotions, but they also keep us aware.
This attention to our surroundings, be it physical or not, helps us see danger coming. This, in turn, allows us to avoid putting ourselves in undesirable situations or lets us prepare for them.
In fact, apache tears are an excellent tool for someone going through a rough patch. They help us dissect and come to terms with grief, lessening the emotional blow and encouraging us to move on.
How to Use Apache Tear:
- Wear apache tears in a ring, earrings, bracelet, or necklace for constant emotional stability and protection.
- Carry an apache tear or apache tear worry stone for a quick mood boost whenever you feel like you need it.
- Add apache tears to your bath, but especially your shower for an emotionally stabilizing cleanse.
- Create a special place in your house for apache tear to fill the home with emotional healing and protection.
- Add apache tears to your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with their powerful protective energy.
- Meditate with an apache tear over your heart chakra to help open up and cleanse your emotional centers.
- Sit with an apache tear over your root chakra to help ground you and flush any negativity into the earth.
A yellow form of quartz, citrine often forms in trigonal points and clusters. While it may not be quite as popular as its violet-colored cousin in pop culture, citrine goes the distance when it comes to protection.
This stone is all about transformation and luck. It radiates bright positive energy that fills us with the warmth of a sunny summer afternoon. In fact, this stone is so strongly positive that it doesn’t even need cleansing. Even better, it passes these unwavering good vibes onto its keeper.
Yet, this crystal doesn’t just influence your mood. Citrine is a stone of luck. It can help boost your energy so bad luck can’t get within a mile.
Basically, citrine helps keep your mood high and your luck good – something not all crystals for protection can provide. Not only does this alleviate negative emotions, it stops part of the need for them entirely by lucking you out of bad situations.
How to Use Citrine:
- Wear citrine as earrings, a necklace, ring, or bracelet for a constant boost of positive energy.
- Carry a citrine worry stone for a bit of luck and confidence whenever you feel you need it.
- Meditate with citrine over your solar plexus to unlock your energies and burn away bad luck.
- Add citrine to a crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its warm positivity.
- Use citrine in your bath or shower water for an extra boosting cleanse.
- Add citrine to your work with other powerful stones like quartz, amethyst, and pyrite to help enhance its protective effects
A flashy version of quartz, this stone gets its sheen from the thin filaments it’s formed by. It comes in yellow, black, blue, and red with the yellow variety being the most common. Yet, it’s not the color or even the outward flash that makes this gem a good protector.
Much like its namesake, tiger’s eye is always watching. It has a quiet, calculated quality that helps its keeper see things clearly without emotion clouding their judgment.
It grounds and dispels negative energy back into the earth while attracting flashes of luck with its glossy sheen. Overall, this is a stone that brings positivity and sends anything else packing.
How to Use Tiger’s Eye:
- Wear tiger’s eye in a bracelet, necklace, ring, earrings, or amulet for a constant grounding effect.
- Carry a tiger’s eye slice or worry stone for a little surge of protection whenever you feel you need it.
- Meditate with tiger’s eye over your solar plexus to help open up your emotional centers and add energy to your day.
- Make a special spot in your house for tiger’s eye to fill the space with a grounding boost of protection and clarity.
- Add a slice of tiger’s eye in your bath or shower water for an extra scrub.
- Put tiger’s eye in your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its clarity and protection.
- Use tiger’s eye with other stones like hematite and Apache tear to help boost its protective qualities.
Smoky quartz is a brown to grey translucent variety of quartz. Like many other colors of this gem, it forms in points or clusters and tends to be pretty common across the world. Perhaps one job it does better than its clear cousin, however, is protection.
Smoky quartz is a mysterious wispy stone that wards off danger. It creates a strong shield around its keeper that blocks psychic attacks and cuts out negativity.
This stone blows through stress and alleviates anxious emotions. It helps us avoid disaster, and also settles us if disaster sneaks its way past our defenses. Smoky quartz is considered to be the most popular and cost-effective choice for crystals for protection.
How to Use Smoky Quartz:
- Wear smoky quartz as a necklace, earrings, bracelet, or ring for a constant buzz of protection.
- Carry a smoky quartz worry stone for a quick boost whenever you feel you need it.
- Add smoky quartz to your time with other stones such as obsidian and amethyst to help enhance its protective qualities.
- Create a special place for smoky quartz in your home to help protect the space and those within it.
- Use smoky quartz in your bath or shower water for a protecting cleanse.
- Put smoky quartz in your crystal water bottle to infuse yourself with its energy.
- Meditate with smoky quartz over your root chakra to help ground and cleanse you.
Heavy in iron, hematite is a metallic crystal that forms in geometric clusters. It’s one of the few gems that are magnetic, but it’s the iron that’s ready to pack a punch of protection.
Playing off its magnetic nature, hematite repels the negative and attracts the positive. In fact, it’s considered a very lucky stone for its seeming ability to remove obstacles from your path.
Hematite keeps us grounded and sends our darker emotions right into the earth to be digested by Mother Nature herself. In essence, this stone eases negative emotions and helps its keeper see things more clearly.
For this reason, it’s considered a stone of knowledge, protection, and luck. It’s also one of those stones that creates a shield around those who work with it. Overall, this is a well-rounded crystal for protection.
How to Use Hematite:
- Wear hematite in earrings, a bracelet, ring, or necklace for a constant flow of positive energy.
- Carry a chunk of hematite or a hematite worry stone for a quick boost whenever you feel you need it.
- Add hematite to your time with other stones like black tourmaline, smoky quartz, and citrine to help enhance its energy.
- Put hematite in your water mixtures such as war water for an extra protective tool (keep in mind that hematite will rust when it gets wet).
- Meditate with hematite over your root chakra to help ground yourself and rid you of any lingering negative energy.
- Set up a special place for hematite in your home to imbue those within with protection and clarity.
- Use tumbled pieces of hematite as fridge magnets to help strengthen clarity and avoid cooking accidents.
As a member of the feldspar family, labradorite dazzles with flashes of blue, green, yellow, and even purple. This gem forms in igneous rocks all over the world and has been used for mystical purposes since the dawn of mankind. One of these such uses is protection.
Much like the amethyst, labradorite is a stone of knowledge and intuition. It helps us see misfortune coming miles away, and that gives a better chance to avoid it.
This is a stone of speech and speaking up for oneself. It helps us to look inside ourselves and realize the potential of our own power.
At the same time, labradorite deflects psychic attacks and eases turbulent emotions. It helps us wash away our own fears and doubts. Overall, this is an excellent protector for those who take the time to work with it.
How to Use Labradorite:
- Wear labradorite in a necklace, ring, bracelet, or earrings for a constant flash of strength throughout your day.
- Carry a chunk of labradorite or a labradorite worry stone with you for a quick surge of calm and protection whenever you feel you need it.
- Meditate with a piece of labradorite over your throat chakra to help clear your voice and better communicate your emotions.
- Add labradorite to a crystal water bottle to infuse your inner body with this stone’s soothing protection.
- Use labradorite in your bath or shower for an extra empowering scrub.
- Use labradorite with other stones such as quartz and tiger’s eye to intensify its protective effects.
- Set up a special spot in your home for labradorite to fill the space with soothing protection.
Crystals for Protection – In Conclusion
You can see there are many choices when it comes to crystals for protection. Crystal healing is a deeply personal practice. Therefore, the best crystals for protection for one person may be slightly different for another.